Monday, December 3, 2012

Semester Reflection



Reflecting on a Challenge 

       What an amazing and challenging semester it has been! I can honestly say when I entered this class I had NO IDEA that it was a research based writing curriculum. I have always really enjoyed writing and while I realize there are far better writers than myself out there I think I write a pretty good paper! Now I have to clarify, when I say I can write a pretty good paper I mean a pretty good fictional paper. I love diving deep into my imagination to see what I can find and who I can create. So needless to say this was a very challenging class for me. Challenges aside I think and hope I rose to the occasion! I can honestly say that hours of research and reading went into my papers and as a result I am very far behind on my TV shows I enjoy and fiction books I love to read.
       I have thoroughly loved the challenges this class provided! It forced me to think in a way that is very foreign to me but allowed me to learn that I can find a way to argue on paper. I learned how to sift through other peoples research in order to find exactly what I was looking for (or hopefully something close). There were many late nights reading quietly with my bedside light on while the rest of my house slept soundly knowing that if I didn't finish or turn the assignment in on time I would be more than disappointed in myself.
       As I look back on this semester I see three papers written, 2 that I am proud of and one that literally kicked my ass. A patient teacher that took time out of her day to help me through my ass kicking paper and faceless peers who offered insight on how to make my work even better. 


Bibliography

Food and Drug Administration. The Use of Placebos in Clinical Trials and the Ethics of the Use of Placebos. Rockwell MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, 1999.

Rothman KJ, Michels KB. The Continuing Unethical Use of Placebo Controls. N. Engl. J. Med. 1994; 331: 394–8.

Kimmelman J, Weijer C, Meslin EM. Helsinki discords: FDA, Ethics, and International Drug Trials. Lancet 2009; 373: 13–14.

Goodyear MD, Lemmens T, Sprumont D, Tangwa G. Does the FDA Have the Authority to Trump the Declaration of Helsinki. BMJ 2009; 338: b1559.

Eccles R, Morris S, Jawad M (1992) Lack of effect of codeine in the treatment of cough associated with acute upper respiratory tract infection. J Clin Pharm Ther 17:175–180

Eccles R (1996) Codeine, cough and upper respiratory infection. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 9:293-297

Freestone C, Eccles R (1997) Assessment of the antitussive efficacy of codeine in cough associated with common cold. J Pharm Pharmacol 49:1045–1049

Clayden JR, Bell JW, Pollard P (1974) Menopausal flushing: double-blind trial of a non-hormonal medication. Br Med J 1:409–412

Swartzman LC, Burkell J (1998) Expectations and the placebo effect in clinical drug trials: why we should not turn a blind eye to unblinding, and other cautionary notes. Clin Pharmacol Ther
64:1–7

Thomson R (1982) Side effects and placebo amplification. Br J Psychiatry 140:64–68

Conception and design: B.A. Golomb, J. Howick.

Analysis and interpretation of the data: B.A. Golomb, L.C. Erickson, S. Koperski.

Drafting of the article: B.A. Golomb, J. Howick.

Critical revision of the article for important intellectual content: B.A.

Golomb, L.C. Erickson, S. Koperski, M. Enkin, J. Howick.

Final approval of the article: B.A. Golomb, L.C. Erickson, S. Koperski,

D. Sack, M. Enkin, J. Howick.

Provision of study materials or patients: B.A. Golomb.

Statistical expertise: B.A. Golomb.

Obtaining of funding: B.A. Golomb.

Administrative, technical, or logistic support: B.A. Golomb, S. Koperski, J. Howick.

Collection and assembly of data: L.C. Erickson, S. Koperski, D. Sack.

Harrington A. The Placebo Effect: An Interdisciplinary Exploration. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1997.

Shapiro AK. Contribution to a history of the placebo effect. Behav Sci 1960;5:109–135.
Turner JA, Deyo RA, Loeser JD, et al. The importance of placebo effects in pain treatment and research. JAMA 1994;271:1609–1614.

Brown WA. The placebo effect. Sci Am 1998;278:90–95.

Benedetti F. Mechanisms of placebo and placebo-related effects across diseases and treatments. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 2008;48:33–60.

Begley S. Placebo Nation: Just Believe. Newsweek, March 17, 2008.

Price DD, Finniss DG, Benedetti F. A comprehensive review of the placebo effect: Recent advances and current thought. Annu Rev Psychol 2008;59:565–590.

White L, Tursky B, Schwartz GE, Evans FJ. Placebo: Theory, research and mechanisms. New York: Guilford Press, 1985.


No comments:

Post a Comment